HAPPY FALL Y’ALL!
Apple picking has led me to try and get super creative with apples, and fall has lead me to bake some yummy treats. This apple crumble is super easy to make and only takes about 15 minutes to prep. It comes out a little dry, but topping it with a little maple syrup, greek yogurt or ice-cream (Cory’s favorite) makes it so so luscious and perfect! I made this version with all vegan and wheat-free ingredients, but you can of course switch things out to cater to your needs. I also used empire apples BUT this would still taste great with another good baking apple like granny smith. You can also easily make this gluten free by replacing the oats with a gluten free option.
Apple Filling Ingredients
- 6 cups skinned, chopped empire apples (about 3 large apples)
- 2 tbs cinnamon
- 1 tbs nutmeg
- 3 tbs maple syrup
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 tbs flax meal
- 4 tbs water
- 1 ts baking soda
- 1/2 ts baking powder
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 2 tb Cinnamon
- 1 tb ginger
- Set oven to 350° F
- Combine apples with syrup and spices in a bowl and mix until evenly coated.
- Make a flax egg by combining flax meal and water in a bowl and let set a few minutes until the consistency changes and gets thick.
- Melt coconut oil (just a little) and combine all crust ingredients in a bowl.
- Grease or line a 13×9 in pan with parchment paper.
- Press crust into the bottom of pan.
- Top crust with apple mixture
- **optional** Top apples with some extra crust, or with a sprinkle of oats and almond flour and maple syrup.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes
Serve with some greek yogurt as a high protein, satisfying breakfast. Or serve it with icecream as a delicious desert!
Hope you love this recipe! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram so I can see your creation!